Advert

Tourists left €82 million in local pockets this January

Tourism numbers up by 20 per cent year-on-year

Tourism numbers were up. Photo: Patricia Ferreria

Tourism numbers were up. Photo: Patricia Ferreria

Tourist numbers were up by 20 per cent in January when compared to the same month the previous year, statistics released on Tuesday have shown. 

Malta-bound visitors spent an estimated €82.3 million that month, an increase of 16.1 per cent over the corresponding month in 2017. 

In total, Malta received 124,769 inbound trips during the first month of the year, with 85 per cent of those (106,114) from holidaymakers and the remaining 15 per cent (14,889) coming from business trips. 

Most tourists during January were aged 25 to 44 (39.2 per cent), with 45 to 64 year olds making up 34.5 per cent of visitors. 

Total nights were up by 15.1 per cent when compared to January 2017, with the largest share (59.1 per cent) going to hotels, hostels and other collective accommodation establishments. 

 

Comments not loading? We recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with javascript turned on.
Comments powered by Disqus  
Advert
Advert